Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 51

Thread: Favorite films?

  1. #41
    PG13
    Guest PG13's Avatar

    SAY ANYTHING-GREAT MOVIE!!!!!! <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fender9879:
    Bottle Rocket
    Rushmore
    Pi
    Requiem For A Dream
    Boogie Nights
    Magnolia
    Almost Famous
    Say Anything
    Chasing Amy
    Before Sunrise
    Waking Life
    Slacker
    A River Runs Through It
    Snow Falling On Cedars
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>



    ------------------

  2. #42
    S 8 Booster
    Guest S 8 Booster's Avatar

    Post

    Seen this movie:

    Dida I lit a something on fire here?



    ------------------
    Vidar

  3. #43
    S 8 Booster
    Guest S 8 Booster's Avatar

    Post

    Pints are good, Morse is good, Garner is good. Ever struck you that sometimes movie effects look fake at the screen and real on TV and sometimes the opposite?

    Real good films needs a cinema to prove its worth?



    ------------------
    Vidar

  4. #44
    S 8 Booster
    Guest S 8 Booster's Avatar

    Post

    How long does one remain a 'junior' on this forum?

    30 pints?

    ------------------
    Vidar

  5. #45
    S 8 Booster
    Guest S 8 Booster's Avatar

    Post

    Yeah, Melvin is OK too despite his 160cm level and partially technically faulty films. Director/money problem?

    Why do I now stop to wait for someone to hit me hard when I in the previous shot ruled the world?

    This is a "H" problem not a Mel problem.



    ------------------
    Vidar

  6. #46
    S 8 Booster
    Guest S 8 Booster's Avatar

    Post

    Bottle Rocket
    Rushmore
    Pi
    Requiem For A Dream
    Boogie Nights
    Magnolia
    Almost Famous
    Say Anything
    Chasing Amy
    Before Sunrise
    Waking Life
    Slacker
    A River Runs Through It
    Snow Falling On Cedars

    Well, at least some of them look like the "C" class movies eventually aired at our poorest TV network for late night "boredom killers"?

    Despite the US ratings.



    ------------------
    Vidar

  7. #47
    S 8 Booster
    Guest S 8 Booster's Avatar

    Post

    Anyone there who know how long the shootout in OK Coral lasted for real?

    According to well informed sources there was made a reconstroction that was filmed in the early 1900s where some of the guys that actually was there contributed as advicors. The shootout lasted about 7 seconds which is logical when you have 5 or 6 rounds available. You do not waste then in vain.

    Ever seen a H production? Now the shootout lasts about 15 minuts and the six-shooters has turned into flaming Gatlings with never ending rounds.

    Did they learn nothing from Buster Keaton or Charlie Chaplin either?



    ------------------
    Vidar

  8. #48
    Matt Pacini
    Guest Matt Pacini's Avatar

    Post

    I agree with much of what you said, it's just that when these big popcorn movies rake in $200 million - $800 million dollars in a year, SOMEBODY is going to see them.
    And almost every independent filmmaker I ever talk to says all these movies are crap, that the only good movies are independent and foreign movies, and yet it almost always turns out that they have seen just as many of these movies as the general population.

    I agree with you totally about how much simple minded crap there is out there, but I also admit, much of it is entertaining, and therefore, I will go see some of it, and I'm not embarrassed to say so.

    There are a lot of films that I just won't see though, because I know they will have no redeeming value whatsoever.
    I read the script to Armageddon, and it was so cliche' and stupid that I absolutely would not go see it.
    I thought Independence day was a piece of shit, but hey, I did see it, just like everyone else, so what can I say?

    I'm only reacting like I did, because I get a little fed up with us filmmakers having to "tow the party line" where we can't possibly be considered artists if we don't say all Hollywood movies are crap.
    There are many that are really good, and do good business;
    A beautiful Mind, and like you said, Sixth Sense, etc.

    But, also like you said "One gets a firm feeling that it is all about money."

    The movie industry, the music industry, are just that; industries.
    And just like all industries, they are run by guys in suits who have to justify every or most decision in terms of profits:
    If it's gonna make money, we'll do it.
    The less likely it will make money, the less likely it will be made.
    It's a shame, but it's the way it is, and us saying it is so, does not change anything.
    It's just the way it is in any business.

    Matt Pacini

    ------------------

  9. #49
    gaspode
    Guest gaspode's Avatar

    Post

    I personally like all the monty python films, i think Meaning of life has the funnyest bits, but its more a feature length sketch show

    and nobody has mentioned the classic, 'Cool Hand Luke'

    ------------------
    'It comes in Pints?!'

  10. #50
    S 8 Booster
    Guest S 8 Booster's Avatar

    Post

    I do not disagree on that Matt: Unfortunately Its all about Money in the end for he established movie makers. This is not a trash statement. This is business like any other business. Without profit it all stops. Someone wants their invested money back and the simplest way to do that is to put them on a safe bet. No problem to undestand that.

    Apart from the Hollywood issue , its probably valid for almost all artists think, it seems as if creativity is inverse of amount money available.

    They are at its best when thy are hungry, ver often in the eraky days.

    Wonder how Citizen Kane went rolling?


    Remember one thing from Paramount Studios last summer: It was two famous actors once having a discusson over Paramount whereas one of them pointed at the trademark of Paramount, the mountain and asked the other one what that meant to him as he stated: bread and butter.

    A factor not to be overlooked.

    RGDS



    ------------------
    Vidar

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •